Every morning, I read the Daily Teachings by The Secret. One day, the following question popped up and has caught my attention. Wow, I thought, this question goes deep!
What have you done in your life that has truly helped the lives of others in the world?
I shared the question on social media and it resonated much stronger than my average post.
I took this opportunity to do a reflection exercise. I’ve spent 30 minutes contemplating and writing down everything that popped up, and was surprised by what I learned:
- I thought about the times I shared insights from my heart during talks
- The times I coached former employees
- The times I was part of a team that experienced a state of flow together and helped each other
- The times I comforted people that were feeling down
- The times I listened to people just for the sake of listening
- The projects I have built
- Friendships I have nourished
- The times I shared book recommendations and other insights that helped others
- I realized that sharing, gifting, teaching, helping, caring, nourishing friendships were the things which have truly helped the lives of others. And not unimportantly, they help me as well, because these are the things that make me fulfilled and happy.
I’ve now scheduled this excercise on a yearly basis.
By the way, Patrizia wrote the following comment on Facebook: “i give kiva-loans (www.kiva.org) and it was one of your posts years ago that made me learn about it thanks”
This comment was proof that my writing can have an impact, even if only for one person. It was also one more reason to finally start my newsletter. So here I am, sharing (and hopefully helping) even more.