I recently returned from a vacation in Italy, spending two weeks completely offline.
The benefits of going offline:
- Old habits are broken. No Facebook, no Twitter, no checking emails, no wasting time.
- More time to listen to audiobooks and podcasts.
- Experiencing the true benefits of the internet: Google Maps, Wikipedia, Google, messaging apps. These were the services I missed most.
- When coming back, I unsubscribed from a ton of emails. Things I couldn’t unsubscribe from I eliminated by creating a new filter.
- It was amazing to see that the things I truly need all fit into one suitcase (or even backpack). All the stuff in my basement, my drawers and my shelves was forgotten. Out of sight, out of mind. I love minimalism and simplifying my life.