I recently rented a Tesla Model S for the weekend (see photos), to have an extended first-time experience:
- Before driving, I watched this Tesla Model S Walkthrough video
- I used peer-to-peer car sharing service Sharoo. The car has a hardware box and can be opened with the smartphone app. Worked like a charm.
- Sharoo is a great way to share your car and earn some cash. I have talked to people who earn 500-800 CHF per month on Sharoo. If you own a car and use it only 5 percent of the time like most other people, consider sharing it.
- The Model S is quite large, which you need to get used to.
- The acceleration is phenomenal. I had the one motor version. I can’t imagine why you’d ever need the dual or performance version.
- Self-driving is the future. Autopilot worked great, even at 150 km/h
- Supercharging is great, but takes time. You burn through a lot of energy, especially when having fun with the car.
- Will I buy one? No. While I can’t stop talking about Elon Musk, I don’t want to own one. I want to use one. That is why I’ll be waiting for the Tesla Network (self-driving cars with the push of a button). Especially in combination with Hyperloop this might become my favorite mode of transport.
- Should you buy one? If you are in the market for a new car, I’d order a Model 3 or buy a pre-owned Model S, sharing them on Sharoo to cover the expenses.